Sermon Summary: April 10, 2020
Good Friday: The Gospel Difference
8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 (NIV)
- 99% of people who say they have rejected the gospel have not rejected the gospel at all, they have only rejected religion.
- Religion is about what you DO but the gospel is about what Jesus has DONE.
- Jesus dying to love us may not have meaning to someone who is unfamiliar with the gospel.
- Jesus’ death is only meaningful if he is dying to save us from grave danger.
- In order to make the gospel more real. In order to make it a journey from the head to the heart, it may help to accompany this truth with a story or two.
- Story of pilot dying to save beach full of people.
- Story of Vietnam girl dying to save a soldier she loved.
- Col 1:19-22 points out key truths that make the gospel more amazing than any human story of sacrifice we can think of.
- We were enemies of God.
- God knew we would betray him.
- God himself paid the price for those far less worthy.